Lawrence
Community Tutor
A question of the position of adverb A question of the position of adverb 1. Use the tool correctly. 2. Correctly use the tool. Maybe there are just some slight difference between the two expressions. Would you know the difference? As an English learner, how should I choose the related expressions in my writing?
Dec 4, 2017 3:38 AM
There's almost no difference. The word in final position gets more emphasis, but this could be modified in the spoken language by varying the sentence stress.
December 4, 2017
I am not an English teacher. English is my native language, but English was also my worst subject in school. [emoji][emoji][emoji][emoji] Both are correct. There is a very small difference in meaning. In english, The MOST IMPORTANT information will be first in the sentence. The boy ran quickly to the store. (In this sentence, it is more important to know HOW the boy ran. It is not as important to know where he ran to. ) The boy ran to the store quickly. (In this sentence, it is more important to know WHERE the boy ran to. It is not as important to know how fast he ran.) But, in both of these sentences the boy did 2 things. 1. He ran to the store. 2. He ran quickly. Whether the adverb is placed at the end of the sentence or after the verb, it is not important in spoken English. If my boss asks me "Can you use this tool correctly?" My answer will be "Yes, I know how to use this tool." If my boss asks me "Can you correctly use this tool?" My answer will be the same. "Yes, I know how to use this tool." I hope this helps!
December 4, 2017