Kseniia
Translation Hello everyone! I'm not sure whether it's OK to ask about it here, but I'll give it a try. I want to recommend a collection of short stories for children by Russian author Dragunsky to my friend - to read it in English at first, and then in Russian - but I'm not sure if it's a professional translation or not (in terms of grammar or word choice, for example - I cannot evaluate it myself, obviously). All I care about is if the translation is good enough not to ruin the impression. So... Could anybody please have a quick look at it and tell me if it's readable (I guess that's the word) for a native English speaker? For example, this story: https://goo.gl/VQHUz9 (of course, there's no need to read the whole story; just a general impression based on a few paragraphs is enough for me) Many, many thanks in advance!
Dec 6, 2017 5:09 PM
The story seems to be pretty accurate. There are just one grammar mistake but it is even made a lot of the time by natives. (Ex. Daddy said, "We're going to graze on the meadow tomorrow, Dennis. Mommy, you and me. ) When you talk about yourself with other people you usually use "I" Daddy said, "We're going to graze on the meadow tomorrow, Dennis. You, mommy, and I." Now that sounds a little better.
December 6, 2017
Line 3 'have a picnic' not 'graze' Line 8 'when I WENT in' .. Looking at the fresh cut grass and the washing hanging on lines ... ... and scolding us. ... to detach my THUMB from the rest of my hand.. ... he stuck his THUMB back on. ... there was a new THUMB ... ...we swung our feet .. ... bought us icecreams and we began ... Hello Kseniia, The story is generally fine, the biggest point of confusion is mixing up fingers and thumbs! Your index finger is the finger you point with. Best wishes Bob
December 6, 2017