Sasha
Professional Teacher
If you had a job, do you think you would speak differently at work from when you are socialising? 1) Could you please explain the second part of the sentence. I am too stupid to understand what answer should I give. 2) My grandma remembers washing her clothes in the river when she was a girl. The key section of the book says that this sentence is correct. But how come? Remembers is definitely wrong here, isn't it? Thank you!
Dec 6, 2017 5:39 PM
1-- The answer should be yes. ' socialising' means talking with your friends, maybe going to a party, or even looking for a romantic partner. It is a casual, relaxed setting, whereas as work is work and is more formal. You shouldn't, for example, use swear words or tell jokes at work. 2 -- The sentence is entirely correct. I might help to see that 'My grandma' could be exchanged for 'she' : "She remembers washing her clothes... " ('remembers' is the main verb conjugated for the subject 'My grandmother'--- 'washing' is the verb "to wash" in the form of a gerund, which is always the present continuous form of the verb)
December 6, 2017
CORRECT: My grandma remembers washing her clothes in the river when she was a girl. ""Remembers" agrees with the subject in the third person singular. This is basic grammar.
December 6, 2017