Bill
le sillabe? Quanto sillabe sono in "cielo"? Per mio, con un orecchio Inglese , sento tre, ma un amico Italiano dice due. Ed in "soleggiato", per mio cinque?
Dec 6, 2017 6:20 PM
Anche se non sono italiano, sono certo che siano due sillabe. Altrimenti, Lei puo' anche ascoltarlo in canzoni.
December 6, 2017
I'm not Italian in the slightest, either, but I agree that 'cielo' is two syllables and 'sollegiato' is four. If the Italians out there will forgive the anglicisation of their words, I think it's a typical anglophone mistake to say 'Chee-ay-low' as three syllables instead of 'Chay-low' In the same way, English speakers tend to call the restauranteur Carluccio "Car-looch-ee-oh" instead of "Car-looch-oh" , or Gianni Versace "Jee-anni" instead of "Janni". Here's the thing: The 'i' is not a syllable in its own right. It's only there as a device to soften the 'c' or the 'g'. In fact, it serves the same purpose as the cedilla under a the 'c' in French - it saves it from turning into a 'k' sound. A 'c' followed by an 'e' or an 'i' is automatically a soft sound. But if you want a soft 'c' before an 'a' 'o', 'u', it needs an 'i' as a buffer to stop it coming out as a 'k'. The same goes for the letter 'g'. It's automatically soft (an English 'j') before 'e' and 'i', but needs the buffering of an 'i' to prevent it turning into a hard 'g' before 'a' 'o' and 'u'. Try to think of the combination of letters 'ci' and 'gi' as consonants - a way of writing /tʃ/ or /dʒ/ - when these consonants appear before certain vowels. They aren't syllables. Spero di essere stata d'aiuto.
December 6, 2017
Le sillabe in "cielo" sono due: cie-lo. Infatti, -cia -cie -gia -gia contano come un'unica sillaba. Infatti, in "soleggiato" sono quattro: so-leg-gia-to
December 6, 2017
Nella parola "cielo" le sillabe sono due > cie - lo. Nella parola "soleggiato" le sillabe sono quattro > so - leg - gia - to.
December 6, 2017
Guys, fantastic for all your explanations, I had a feeling that I had this wrong, so pleased that you have explained. Haiku would be impossible in Italian if I was right.
December 7, 2017