Leena Azzouni
Professional Teacher
時々... are adj not written in 漢字? o.O おはよう! I tried to have the word "easy Japanese" translated but Google Translate keeps showing the ひらがな writing of this adj (やさしい) instead of the 漢字 (易しい), even when I use my voice... Is there a reason for that? Here is the translation: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xDGwZ2D5kwmgRyRK6 どうもありがとう :)
3
0
As we do not use any spaces in passages, it is very difficult to read if everything is written in ひらがな. Thus, we use ひらがな、カタカナ and 漢字 accordingly. Homonym of 易しい is 優しい, so when it is difficult to figure out which やさしい is meant to be used in the passage, we use 漢字. As Yuko mentioned, ひらがな can give softer impression, we tend to use やさしい instead of 易しい when it clearly articulates the meaning.
I usually write "やさしい", not "易しい", and it may be common. Generally speaking, ひらがな has a softer impression than 漢字. If you write sentences with lots of 漢字, readers would think that they are too formal. Therefore, we sometimes use ひらがな, not 漢字, intentionally. For example, we prefer to write "おはようございます" instead of お早うございます and "ありがとう" instead of 有難う. It may be hard for non-native Japanese speakers to understand how to use 漢字 and ひらがな. I'd say that reading many articles written by the Japanese is the only way to learn the use.
I am for google, because, after all, Kanji is Chinese. It is like Latin-originated English words are, after all, Latin. What is やさしい? it comes from やせる(get thin) 頼む(TANOMU):ask,trust, 頼もしい(TANOMOSHII):trustworthy 急ぐ(ISOGU):hurry, 忙しい(ISOGASHII):busy 痩せる(YASERU):get thin, 優しい(YASASHII):gentle, or 易しい:easy Thin (and weak ) people are often gentle. -> やさしい(優しい) Thin (and weak ) people are often easy to handlle with -> やさしい(易しい) It is Japanese(not Chinese) and using hiragana "やさしい" makes sense.
Leena Azzouni
Arabic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Modern Standard), Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese, Korean, Other
Chinese (Mandarin)