Harry
bring and take in this sentence You can come any time before 6 pm. Should I bring anything with me. Should I take anything? What is the difference?
2
0
It has to be "bring" . In standard English, "bring" collocates with "come", and "take" collocates with "go". It really is that simple. If you follow this basic rule, you won't go wrong. Here's the difference: Conversation 1. You're at home, on the phone to your friend Bill: Bill: Come over to our house tonight. You: Thanks! What time should I come? Bill: About 6 pm? You: Great. Should I bring anything with me? Bill: You can bring some beer. In this conversation you are using come/bring because your point of reference is the "here" referred to by the person you're talking to ( Bill's house). We say "Come here and bring x". Conversation 2. You're still at home, this time talking to your brother: Brother: What are you doing this evening? You: I'm going to Bill's house. By the way... you know that beer in the fridge? Do you mind if I take it? Brother: Sure, go on. Take it. In this conversation, you use go/take because your point of reference ( Bill's house) is "there" - in other words, a different place away from both you and your brother. We say "Go there and take x". I hope that makes sense.
'Should I bring anything with me?' sounds best, the other one is a bit up in the air (take from where?) you would use it more for if you need something, an umbrella when it rains for example. That's how I feel about it.
Harry