Viktor Pogrebniak
How to say "now" in a meaning "at this moment after some time"? I'd like to say that at this moment of my life I gradually gained some experience which I did not have before. Now I can do something that I could not do before, but I gained my skill some time ago. In other words, some time ago I used to do something in some way, then I gained some skills for doing it better, some more time passed, and at this moment I am good in it. How to say it in the best way? My options are like these: Now I can drive somewhere without using a map. Meanwhile, I can drive somewhere without using a map. By then, I can drive somewhere without using a map. Presently I can drive somewhere without using a map. Probably there are some better options than mine. Anybody can help? I am especially interested in different dialects (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
10
1
The only option which makes sense is "Now". We often emphasise the change by altering the word order: "I can now drive without using a map". This is something which you couldn't do before. None of the other options work. "Meanwhile" and "presently" have different meanings . Are they mistranslations from a not-very-good Russian-English dictionary? "By then" is the right idea, but it refers to a time in the past. For example, "I met Viktor for a second time in 2009. By then, he could drive without using a map." By the way...I couldn't help noticing your correct use of the word "option". Most Russians here would (wrongly) use the word "variant" in this context. Give yourself some extra points for that :)
I think all options will work but some are just structured differently and therefore vary slightly in meaning. For example, in casual conversation, it would be more natural to say "Now, I can drive without a map." This means that in the past you didn't but from now until the future, you dont need a map to drive. If you say "Meanwhile, I can drive without a map" it seems like it would be an afterthought of another subject because meanwhile means 'at the same time' or 'on the other hand'

Hope this helps!

Hi Viktor, you could also say : 1. " I eventually suceeded in driving without using a map". 2. "I eventually managed to drive without using a map". 3. "I couldn't drive without using a map, but now I can make it".
i think if you wanna say that you have got better at something exactly this time last year or something, you'd say "i wasn't really skilled at (whatever the matter ) exactly (the time you're referring to ,ex: 2 years ago ) but now , i can (the new skill you have gained) example : exactly 2 years ago from now , i couldn't drive without a map, but now i can drive anywhere without needing a map or a GPS.
I would say "But now".
Viktor Pogrebniak
Czech, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish