Check out our updated Community
Mari Kim
What is the difference between "hit home" and "bring something home"? I want to make sure the difference between "hit home" and "bring something home". Could you explain them with examples? Thank you so much.
"hit home" means you understood the situation which has a strong affect on you, "when my father had a heart attack, it really hit home. I check up regularly now" bring something home means you try to make someone understand how serious the situation is, "the conversation has brought home the importance of this two idioms for me" mine is not perfect, but i hope it works.
Hi Mari Kim "To hit home" means the same as "to strike home". It means that something becomes completely understood. E.g.: The full horror of the war hit home when we started seeing pictures on TV (Cambridge Dictionary) If you use "to bring something home", then you want someone to understand something much more clearly than they understood before. It's mostly used for unpleasant situations. E.g.: When I saw for myself the damage that had been caused, that really brought home to me the scale of the disaster (Cambridge Dictionary) You could use both phrases in the examples: - The full horror of the war was brought home when we started seeing pictures on TV - When I saw for myself the damage that had been caused, that really hit home the scale of the disaster Regards Karen
I see Karen and Sandra have read the question differently from my more literal interpretation. I believe both of them are right.
This is my understanding of the two different uses of the word home in your question. "Hit home." home here refers to the home button usually on the left hand side of the web page it means to click on the home button to go back to the home page if you were surfing a website. "Bring something home." home here refers to the place you usually live in, your house or apartment. Hilarious, I got a negative for my answer which I don't mind, there was no context to the question so I took it literally but in reading the other replies I can see how off base I might have been.
Mari Kim