Check out our updated Community
Auspicious
Why are they thought of as 'indirect objects'? In an Oxford dictionary a sense given for the prepositon OF is: Indicating the relationship between a verb and an indirect object, with a verb expressing a mental state: ‘I don't know of anything that would be suitable’ ‘I couldn't figure out a way to convince him of my love.’ ‘they must be persuaded of the severity of the problem’ I'm not challenging its correctness, only I'm wondering why.
3 авг. 2018 г., 0:44
When you have two objects in a sentence, the indirect object is often preceded by a preposition. For example, the sentence ‘I couldn't figure out a way to convince him of my love', the verb 'convince' has two objects - 'him' is the direct object and 'my love' is the indirect object. The preposition 'of' makes it clear which is the indirect object. The fixed collocation is 'convince [direct object] of [indirect object] - in other words, 'convince someone of something'. Different verbs collocate with different prepositions. For example 'supply someone with something' or 'recommend something to someone'.
3 августа 2018 г.
Auspicious
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish