Luisa
"I am a little too short for that" - Meaning in a context Context: A woman is talking to her boss. She's hiding her pregnancy and her boss starts suspect about it, then he said: Don't try to hide things from me, I am a little too short for that. "I am a little too short for that" means he is not tolerant to liar people or things like that. What exactly does it mean?
6
0
Are you absolutely sure that he said 'short'? 'Short' does not make much sense in this context. If you've taken this from a subtitle, it could be a mistake. The most likely word is SHARP, rather than 'short'. 'Sharp' - as in 'sharp-witted' - means astute or observant, and quick to notice and understand things. This makes perfect sense. A sloppy and/or non-native subtitler, or voice recognition software, could easily mistake 'sharp' for 'short'. The realisation of the vowel may vary depending on the speaker's accent and the final consonant could easily be misheard. Remember that subtitles are very often wrong!
..
I think he means short-tempered. Easy to anger.
Luisa
English, Portuguese, Spanish
English, Portuguese