jimmy
Is 五組 a room number and is the Japanese and American education system different? In a lot of anime I see that take place in a school I always see 〇年〇組. Is 二年A組 a room number? 216 is a high school class room number in American. My college adds letters to the number like NW314. But if I'm wrong and its not a room number then what does 五組 or 二年A組 mean? Does it have anything to do with the way the Japanese education system is set up? How is the Japanese Education system set Up? Is it different from the American education system? I'm confused because I never went to school in Japan. However I see numbers like 二年A組 in anime and manga and I don't know what they mean.
5
0
If American school system has the same system as Australian one, I assume each student belongs to a pastoral class or a pastoral care group at school. 〇年〇組 is an equivalent to those groups in Japan. I assume the number "216", which you mentioned above is an actual class room number, instead of the group number. 〇年 stands for a school year. e.g. 2年 means Year 2. 〇組 stands for a group number. e.g. 1組 means the first group of the year and 2組 is the second group etc. The common names for the pastoral classes are numbers, like1組、2組 and alphabets, like A組、B組. However, there are other variations for rather small primary schools like 東(east)組、西(west)組, 赤(red)組、白(white)組 etc. Thus, 二年A組 means that the first group of Year 2.
jimmy
English, Japanese, Spanish
Japanese, Spanish