kapil
what is meaning of down to the wire and ins and outs and rude awakening
3
0
Hey Kapil, I shall provide you with information regarding the meaning of these three idioms: 1) "down to the wire" --> this informal expression is used in sentences to convey the idea of "until the very end." * If you do something down to the wire, you continue doing it until the last possible moment. E.g: "Negotiations are likely to go down to the wire." E.g.: "We're just about down to the wire with this project." 2) "ins and outs" --> this idiom is used to mean the particular details and nuances of a situation, task, etc. E.g.: " I'm not surprised he made such a stupid mistake - he doesn’t know the ins and outs of this business." E.g.: "You should not have told her about our plan - Don't you know the ins and outs of a surprise party?" 3) "rude awakening" --> this is an idiom used to refer to the shocking instance of learning the unpleasant or unwelcome truth about a situation. E.g.: "We had a rude awakening when the waiter brought us the bill and we saw how much we had spent on dinner and drinks." * If you have had a 'rude awakening', you have been forced to realize the unpleasant truth about something. ( e.g.: "She thought the exam was going to be easy, but after reading all those questions, she had a rude awakening!") Did you get the idea? Hope that helps!!! Should you have any further doubts, do not hesitate to contact me. I shall be pleased to help.
May I provide you with additional information on the usage of the idiom "down to the wire" ? Here it is: * 'down to the wire' is an informal expression used to denote a situation whose outcome is not decided until the very last minute. This expression comes from horse racing and originated in North America, where a wire is stretched across and above the finishing line on a racecourse. Hope you have understood it! :)
"Down to the wire" refers to when a cable/cord has been damaged so much that you can see the inner wire. "Ins and outs" is an expression used when you know something in really good detail. For example: if I was an expert at navigating through my city, I could say "I know the ins and outs of this city." "Rude awakening" is used to refer to a shocking and unexpected experience that challenges your thinking/belief. It usually results in having learned a valuable lesson.
kapil
English, Marathi