Check out our updated Community
Helena
How to say in English: "не с потолка взято" ? Could someone help me to find a good translation of the Russian expression "не с потолка взято"? For example: Не с потолка же деревенские бабы берут свои новости. Во всяком случае, такую вещь они сами бы не выдумали. I'd say: "The news being told by the village women don't come out of thin air (?). Anyway, they couldn't make up such things/such stories by themselves".
The village women don't take the news off the top of their heads/don't make the news up.
I think the translation of this sentence is depend on what kind of translation you want to make. I mean direct (with smile), associative (like English idioms) or just you want to give the person the exact understanding of the situation. The last variant can be "all news have a real reason/ it was an well prepared answer/...", or something similar.
Helena
English, French, Kazakh, Russian
English, French, Kazakh