Sasha
What do you call "kleenka" in English? Hello everybody! I am looking for the correct word in English. Right now I am in the countryside and every day I come across some Ukrainian/Russian words that I don’t know how to translate into English. We have a hip of straw and in order to protect it from rain and snow we cover it with a special cover. We also use this cover pretty often when we cover something that is outside in order to protect it from rain. In the picture, you can see the black cover, but more often we use transparent cover. We also use transparent cover to make a greenhouse in the spring. What do you call this type of cover in English? Thank you very much for all you answers! The picture of this cover is here: https://ibb.co/fSAXDz
5 Th08 2018 11:13
12
0
Perhaps - tarpaulin (tarp) - plastic sheet - plastic sheeting - cover - waterproof cover - all-weather cover
5 tháng 8 năm 2018
I agree with David. However, in the USA, we might say, "We covered the straw with a tarp." I had never even heard of tarpaulin, so this full word is rarely if ever used in the USA. To use something clear like this for a greenhouse, we might say "clear plastic" sheet, cover, roof, etc.
5 tháng 8 năm 2018
Specifically for hay bales, they are called "hay bale covers" or "hay bale caps". The caps only cover the top but the covers encase them.
5 tháng 8 năm 2018
the covering in your picture is using. "black plastic sheeting" or "plastic sheeting" or " polythene sheeting". Often people will give them specific general words to describe what the manufacture/shop/retail outlet/warehouse/supplier is specifically marketing the product for. sometimes these sheets are actually shaped to cover specific items. all of the words suggested here are fine to use. Except a tarpaulin or tarp (either word is used in the UK). A tarpaulin was traditionally made from a heavy waterproofed material. Now different materials and plastics are used to manufacture light weight tarps and the words have become interchangeable. See a picture of a modern plastic tarp that Michael is describing. -> https://www.tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk/tarpaulin-guide
5 tháng 8 năm 2018
US - To most people, that's a "tarp." We might distinguish it between "light tarp," or "heavy tarp," or "clear tarp," or "blue tarp."
5 tháng 8 năm 2018
Sasha
English, French, Russian, Ukrainian