Pyos
Does word Girle in early modern English mean the same that Girl in modern English? Or Girle means only little Girl (not teenager or young woman)?
5 авг. 2018 г., 22:08
2
0
So there is a reference to middle English 'girle', 'gerle' or 'gyrle' and it may originate from a German word "göre" which referred to a young person/ child of either sex. Today, "girl" always refers to young female. Hope that helps :)
5 августа 2018 г.
In my experience, American English will use girly (the Y makes and E sound) to describe things like girl's clothing, girl's toys, things like that. I've never used it to describe a younger girl. Generally if the person is younger, I would describe them either as younger (gender) teenager (without gender) or specifically by their age (16 year old, 5 year old boy/girl) Dictionary says something about some context of the word being rude or derogatory, but I've never used it that way.
5 августа 2018 г.
Pyos