Shakti Singh
Learn spanish online - how to start learning spanish? i have decided to start learning spanish and widen my language knowledge. is there essential tips which can help me to Learn spanish online without much difficulties?
2
0
5) Analyze the grammar. IMHO, grammar is best left for when you actually need it. For example, if you notice a certain pattern in your readings and videos you watch, you'll be eager to ask your teacher about it, and his explanation will be A LOT more memorable than if you had just read "the rule" in a book. As I said, I've seen students learn a lot of Spanish without ever opening a grammar book. Input is much more important. 6) Continue to make progress. A lot of people become too comfortable when they can make themselves understood. You should be willing to keep improving in every area. Write shorts essays on Google Docs and have your teacher correct them during class time, explaining both grammar and style in the process. 7) Assign definite study times. You won't make much progress if all you ever do with your Spanish is speak to your italki teacher. You need to have a proper schedule and set aside time each day for input activities, SRS reviews, etc. 8) Speak! Speak! Speak! Don't be afraid to speak just because you won't do it perfectly. Real interaction with actual people is a lot better than anything else you can do to learn. I hope this helps.
Hi, Shakti. I see you have already learned several languages, so you already know how to do it. Still, I'll provide some general tips: Before any formal study, start by memorizing like a parrot a few useful phrases. Try your best to imitate the native recordings. For example, phrases like "Could you repeat that?", "Could you please say it slower?" and "See you next time". 1) Listen carefully. Spend some time in ear training. Start by watching Fluent Forever's Spanish pronunciation videos on YouTube. When you're a beginner, don't waste any time searching for movies on Amazon and Netflix "for listening practice". Instead, look for a teacher who speaks clearly and who you can actually understand. There are also videos in easy, slow Spanish on YouTube. I've seen students learn A LOT just with this. 2) Imitate fluent speakers. Search for "shadowing" and "chorusing" on Google. These techniques are key for getting the prosody right and not sounding too "foreign". Your teacher can help you with this by recording and sending you mp3s with key phrases you actually need, and which you can use for shadowing exercises. 3) Memorize and review. Search for "20 rules of formulating knowledge" and also install Anki. If your teacher speaks English, he can help you come up with mnemonics for the words you're memorizing. And please focus only on high-frequency words when you're a beginner, so you can develop a core vocabulary. Don't waste any time with unfrequent words. There are frequency dictionaries for this. Get yourself acquainted with the concept of SRS (Google it) for effective review. 4) Read aloud. This helps you both with confidence (which is the most important thing to appear fluent) and to find out what your pronunciation problems are. Use voice recognition software to check if what you're reading out loud is right. ....to be continued...
Shakti Singh
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Hindi, Italian, Punjabi, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), French, Spanish