Dau Nho Nhan
At the beginning / In the beginning Are both expressions "At the beginning" "In the beginning" valid and equivalent?
Hey Dau Nho Nhan, Firstly, you should know that they are valid but not interchangeable. I shall provide you with an explanation about the usage of these expressions: 1) “At the beginning” is related to 'the first part of something'. it refers to 'the starting point in a process; the start of a period of time.' and is often followed by the preposition 'of'. E.g.: ''Let’s read out loud the examples given at the beginning of this chapter. E.g.: ''The horse fell right at the beginning of the race.'' E.g.: ''I’m travelling to Paris at the beginning of June.'' 2) ''In the beginning'' is a synonym of 'at first'. E.g.: ''In the beginning, I didn’t like living in Paris, but now I love it!'' E.g.: ''Learning English was really difficult for me in the beginning.'' * Now, have a look at these sentences: ''I was in the beginning of my studies when I had to quit college to help out my ailing mother. ''I got pregnant in the beginning of my studies. So, I had to quit college.'' *** NOTICE: Sometimes, it is permissible to use ''in the beginning'' followed by ''of'', even though it is not considered standard grammar. Some dictionaries say that the use of “at” or “in” with “the beginning of” is interchangeable in some contexts. That means, that you can use one preposition or the other. However, the best thing to learn is that “in the beginning” usually covers a much longer period and “at the beginning” refers to a specific moment in time. Well, I hope you have understood this. In some contexts, there is a difference. But in others, you can use one or the other. You’ll really learn this by paying attention to the use of English. So, keep your eyes and ears wide open so as to notice how these two combinations are usually used in daily English. Hope that helps!!! :)
In most cases either is fine. You'd mostly want to alternate them for to avoid using the same preposition multiple times. English sounds most natural when you avoid using the same words over and over. Synonyms are your best friend for sounding fluent.
Generally yes.