Check out our updated Community
Dan
I chose this song hoping that it will serve as a lullaby. Hi folks, I just stumbled on the expression noted above and found it something wrong grammatically. I thought if it used the past tense in the front as 'chose', it'd have to use the same kind of tense in the latter, but it used 'will' not 'would'. Do I judge it right? I am hoping to hear from native speakers whether it sounds natural itself or it needs to be fixed in its grammar. Thank you.
That is a good question Dan. I am not a native speaker but I will leave my thoughts here anyways. I think both (will and would) are correct, it depends on the situation. Let's suppose you: 01. chose the song, and it is to be played in the future: "I chose this song hoping that it will serve as a lullaby"; 02. chose the song, and it has already been played. "I chose this song hoping that it would serve as a lullaby" I hope it make sense. =]
Dan