Katya
Hydro and wind energy is or are ? I have a doubt and I hope somebody could help me resolve it. Hydro and wind energy IS not as widely used as other energy sources. Hydro and wind energy ARE... Both hydro and wind energy are... Which way of putting it is more grammatically correct? Thanks in advance :)
9
0
Definitely 'are'. You can't use the third option, starting with 'both' because the sentence is in the negative. You need to use 'neither'. Neither hydro or wind energy are as widely used as other energy sources.
Hi Katya, Energy is an uncountable noun. However, we can count the different types of energy (i.e. hydro [energy] and wind energy). Therefore, we should write: "Hydro and wind energy are not as widely used as other energy sources." Another example: Music (singular mass noun) IS my life. Art (singular mass noun) IS my passion. Music and art (TWO singular mass nouns) ARE my life and passion. I hope this helps.
Are
A and B are ... :)
Katya
English, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
English, German, Italian, Spanish