Qasem Mafi
Skimming vs Scanning I'd like to know more about the two key concepts, and you are appreciated for giving a simple instance of each.
Skimming is when you read a text quickly to get a general idea of what it's about. Scanning is when you read a text quickly to find specific information.
If we are talking about reading - intensive reading = slow, careful reading, often while studying for school general reading = medium speed reading, often for enjoyment skimming = quick, superficial reading, often to identify basic information (who what when where why how) scanning = quick reading to find a specific fact - What’s in the newspaper today? - I only skimmed the paper. There’s news about an airplane crash in Mexico but luckily nobody was killed. - Will you please read the letter from the school and find the time of the student music show? - I scanned the letter. The show starts at 1:30 PM.
context? Internet? Credit card theft? Reading?