emar
Pass an illness on someone or give intelligence to someone? How would you say it informally? I want to be with her ( she is very intelligent) because I expect her to pass some intelligence on me . Would it be the same with an illness or an emotion? Thank you
If you want an informal, everyday way to say this, here are some suggestions. I would like some of her qualities to "RUB OFF" on me. I would like some of her qualities to "influence" me. I would like some of her qualities to "have an impact" on me.
Bestow is a good word. You can also say "I want to be with her, so that some of her intelligence rubs off on/onto me" For an illness, you 'catch' it. You catch a cold, a fever. Everyone at work has the flu (influenza) and I might have caught it too. A sick person can 'pass' the sickness to others, and they catch it. Especially for germs/bacteria, but also used for emotions. You can pass on your enthusiasm, and they can catch it. You can 'catch' someone's emotions, but it is not a common way to say it. There is a Christian mission called "Catch the Fire Ministries", as though you 'catch' a spirit, like at Pentecost. You can't 'give' intelligence. You can give insight and an understanding. You can't receive intelligence either. It is innate.
bestow isn't very common. I hope she can pass on some knowledge to me, would be more common.
You might say "bestow" some knowledge, or "share". "She is very intelligent so I hope she can bestow some knowledge on me." Bestow means to present someone with something. This is the word I would use.