Igor
"...who had never had but the one..." - why here stands "never"? In the story of the Treasure Island Jim during his sleep sometimes imagined 'a dreadful seafaring man' like "...now he was a monstrous kind of a creature who had never had but the one leg, and that in the middle of his body". The meaning of that is "...who had had but the one leg", I suppose. But what nuances gives here the word "never"? I have found the same looking structure in the statement of Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." So, he had made only one prayer, hadn't he? But why here also "never" is used?
'But' in this context means 'only' and is used for emphasis. http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/but 1 : 2only They have but two weeks to get ready. — sometimes used for emphasis If they had but given me a chance, I know I could have done it. He was here but five minutes ago. She is still but a child. This new product offers many advantages: speed, convenience, and durability, to name but a few.
"Never" is used to emphasise the uniqueness of the item/action described (the fact that he only had one leg and the fact that he had prayed just once). It could be expressed with a different structure, removing "never" and "but": "He only had one leg...", "I have only made one prayer to God...". It's a matter of style. Hope it helps a bit!