Brittany
How do we know when to use the conditional or simple future to express uncertainty in Spanish? In my Spanish class we've been learning about using the simple future and conditional to express uncertainty in questions. Ex. ¿Qué estudiará ella? ¿Qué estudiaría ella? I think that we just use conditional to express uncertainty in questions in English, so I'm a little confused with this concept. Is the simple future used to express uncertainty in the present and the conditional used to express uncertainty in the past? Also, how would you translate these sentences in English? I would guess something like: "¿Qué estudiará ella?" = "What could she be studying?" "¿Qué estudiaría ella?" = "What could she have studied?"
Is the simple future used to express uncertainty in the present and the conditional used to express uncertainty in the past? YES.
- ¿Qué estudiará ella? = What could she be studying? (I wonder what she is studying) / What will she study? - ¿Qué estudiaría ella? = What could she have studied? (I wonder what she studied in the past) / What would she study? (if she could choose now). Hope it helps a bit!