Mike Wang
Which expression do Americans use often? 1. He didn't need/have to lose his temper. 2. He needn't have lost his temper. I know "need" can be used as a regular verb and auxiliary verb so it's not about grammar. I saw the second one in a British TV series so I posed this question. PS: Grammarly told me that I should have changed "posed" to "posted". Is it redundant/superfluous?
I'd say Americans use option number 1 more often. Option 2 is more of a British vernacular. Technically, Grammarly is correct since this question was posted on this site. You could use 'posed' if you were talking among a group of people. "Let me pose this question for you to consider."
Number 2 means the person didn't need to lose his temper, but he did anyway. Number. Number 1 stresses it wasn't necessary for him to lose his temper.
Thanks, Nanren888. That's what I thought. lol
pose = composed - created - wrote - told to others posted - relates to websites, posted on the wall, made a poster of . You could use either, but with different meanings . Grammarly has mistaken your intention.