Grammar Question Hello everyone, Could someone help me a little bit? So, i'm so confused which from these questions are most correctly. I'll be very glad, if someone answers to my question and will choose the right question from grammatical point of view. 1) Why have we turned back? - John has forgotten his money at home. "or" Why did we turn back? - John forgot his money at home. "or" otherwise? 2) I haven't had time to read the text, but have looked through. "or" I didn't have time to read the text, but looked through. "or" otherwise. I'm really so confused should i use Past Simple or Present Perfect. Thank you for advice.
When the situation is a single event in the past but the specific time is not given, we can usually choose the past simple or the present perfect, depending on our preference and/or perspective. If our perspective is the present - the situation is "live", then it would be more natural to use the present perfect. If our perspective is the past - the situation is "finished", then it would be more natural to use the past simple. In your first example, it would be natural to use "we have turned back" if the journey is still continuing and we are talking about the present. e.g. Why have we turned back? We are wasting time. We could be doing... Here, our perspective is the past. e.g. Why did we turn back? It was definitely the wrong decision. We should have continued.... If the journey is already over, then only the past simple would be correct because we can't logically think of the situation as still live. If you are in doubt, choose the past simple. It may sound less good sometimes but you are more likely to avoid mistakes. The past simple is also preferred more in US English, in these situations, where there is a choice.
I'm not really sure what your question is. Your questions have minor grammar errors, which seem to not be your point. . The tenses/aspects of the sentences, which seem to be your point are all valid, but each ahs slightly different emphasis. . Why have we turned back? - John has forgotten his money. (John has left his money at home). Why did we turn back? - John forgot his money.(John left his money at home). Basically equivalent, natural and fine. One is simpler :) More about an event. One more about an activity. I haven't had time to read the text, but have looked through it. <-- "it" I didn't have time to read the text, but looked through it. Same. As "haven't had time" suggests an extended duration, it perhaps suggests that you will have time in the future. I "didn't" talks of an instanteanous point and has not suggestion that this will change. . All valid. Depends on you which you want. Hope this has helped. Hope this helped.
I think Present Perfecеt because time don't indicate and you have a result, but I am not a native speaker. :)