YOURA
halfway through I have a question about this phrase " halfway through " Should there be always an object after halfway through? For example, " My clothes are dry halfway through " Is it correct to say things like this ?
2
0
In everyday speech, you might hear this preposition without an object. For example, if someone asked if you had finished reading a book, you might reply, "I only got halfway through". It is understood to mean you got to the middle and then stopped reading. However, to complete most thoughts an object is needed. For example, " I got halfway through the race and then I fell" or "I got halfway through my meal when I started to feel sick". With your sentence, it would be more natural to, "My clothes were partial dry". You could say, "my clothes were halfway through the drying cycle when the machine stopped working". I hope this helps
Hi! I'm not sure I can give you a good explanation of *why*, but that phrase isn't really a correct use of 'halfway through' - in my experience it's usually used for an activity you are doing that you've got halfway through. Examples: "I was halfway through a TV series when my phone rang." "I was halfway through doing my homework when I gave up." "How far did you get?" "Oh, about halfway through."
YOURA