Ezzat Yaseen
caught Vs got caught A native speaker corrected my sentence as the following Me: a movie about criminals who were (got) caught and got a fair verdict in a trial at a court. A native speaker: a movie about criminals who were caught and got a fair verdict in a trial at a court. When I should and shouldn't use (got caught) in such a case?
10
0
The correction you received was unnecessary. Your original was also correct. Got caught = were caught. The sense of "got caught" is a completed, decisive action and it is more informal and conversational. If in doubt, stay with "were + past participle" to express the passive in a simple, standard way. For example, in this case, "got helped" would be less natural: "I broke down on the motorway and was helped by another motorist."
The original correction was unnecessary (in North American English). In North American English, "to get" can mean "to change state" or "to obtain/to receive." The example uses both meanings. "My brother was sick last week" is a description of a state. "My brother got sick last week" is a change of state. "My brother got married last year" is a change of state. "My brother got divorced last week" is a change of state. "My brother got a car" is equivalent to my brother obtained a car. (North American) "My brother got a job" is equivalent to my brother obtained a job. The criminals got caught (change of state like got married) and got a fair trial (received a fair trial).
Short answer: Not in this case. They were caught. <-- no "got" They got caught. <-- no "were" . BTW: When should I and when shouldn't I use "got caught" in such a case? <-- moved "I" & repreated "when". Tip: If someone says a sentence with "(" or ")" is gramatically correct, ask someone else too. :)
Got it.
Thanks Amanda
Ezzat Yaseen
Arabic, English, Spanish