Vincentry
How to define whether a noun has countable form or not? When it comes to nouns like behavior, experience, interest, etc, I am quite surprised to see they all have countable forms. It's odd, because if they are countable in some cases, then almost all words should have countable forms (I don't think behavior can add 's') I am quite glad to say my question has been perfectly solved. Thanks for you all !!!
11
0
I'll give you a few examples for uncountable nouns: water (or any other liquid or gas), money, sugar, salt, flour, sand, litter... You can count the bottles of water, the coins and banknotes, the spoons of sugar, the cups of flour, the bag of sand etc. But what you really count then is the bottles, spoons, cups, bags not the stuff inside the bin. It would be a real Sisyphus task to do it but in fact you can count experiences, interests, preferences, ideas, thoughts etc. I hope this makes it a bit clearer for you.
Hello, as far as I'm aware, there is no quick way, or logical process of knowing whether a noun is countable or not. Common mistakes are with advice and information - both of which are uncountable, so never plurual. I'm sorry I don't have the answer! best wishes, Annie
Behaviour is the typical way a person lives or does things. When talking about characteristics you can use the word, 'behaviours'. The ways (plural) that some one behaves. Interest has a plural, when interest means what you are interested in. E.g. I have many interests, such as learning another language, playing a sport, watching films, etc. Our governments have interests: they want good relationships with their neighbours, peace, trade and cooperation, military might and influence in the world. But for bank interest, it is only singular. You don't say "I get much bank interests". You can only say that you get a lot of interest from the bank. Experience is from one event. Having many new experiences is what people go on holidays for. Do you have examples of nouns that don't have countable or plural forms? I can't think of any right now.
You can quickly find out if a noun is countable or not by checking an online dictionary such as https://www.macmillandictionary.com/ or https://www.ldoceonline.com/ All the best.
Yes, Anna, I totally understand your vivid example. Good explanations! Thanks.
Vincentry