Said M.
Word: Aye Hello everyone! I'm watching some movies and TV shows and I have noticed one thing. When a person wants to say "yes", in most of cases that person said "aye". ¿Could I use that word in any kind of conversations or is an informal word? Thank you!
8
0
Hello, as John has said, to me it is predominately a Naval word. However, it is also used in certain dialects in the UK, for example in Scotland, and in the northeast of England where people would say 'aye' rather than 'yes'. It also reminds me of something I was watching recently where a vote was being held. The story is set in the 18th century in England, and at the end of the voting, a character said something like 'the ayes have it' - meaning that the vote has more people for it rather than against it - if you follow. I personally never use it in any form of conversations - but I'm from the southeast of England, so that may be why! I hope this helps, best wishes, Annie
Yes you could.. Also there is a Naval nautical term."aye aye". That used to be used in the navy. To signify that a lower ranking officer or "mate" "cadet" etc had understood an order from an officer and would carry it out. Like this Officer: bring me the charts for the port now. Ordinary seaman: AYE sir = only yes (officer unsure there is ambiguity) Ordinary seaman: AYE AYE SIR = order understood I will do it. = the office knows command is understood and will be completed. see here from an American Marine "aye sir" = yes to a question "aye aye sir" = response to a command (vital in war conditions) like when English and Spanish naval fleets used to do sea battles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jt6Ub69a-w
I am American. We would only use the word "aye" in my region as a joke (like saying "Aye aye Captain" to a friend).
As Annie suggests it's still common in the north of Britain. We interacted with a Scotish contractor. He'd always use it, even in emails. Was quite natural for him.
for a little bit more language learning. In older English "a" was pronounced more like "e" is today. so "aye" or "ayes" is pronounced like "eye or eyes". The same Applies to English place names the City of "Derby" is produced "darby" and the pace called Finchley the correct old pronunciation is Finchlay. And the place called "Ware" in Hertfordshire is pronounced "wear"
Said M.
Catalan, English, Spanish