Pelin
Can I use these both? I am wondering where you are from. I was wondering where youa re from.
Both are correct, but native speakers of English would be more likely to use the second option: I was wondering where you are from. The first option would be used in response to a question like 'What are you wondering?" or "What are you wondering about?" or "What are you thinking?" or "What are you thinking about?" The second option: "I was wondering where you are from?" is used when we would like to get to know someone better whom we have just met, for example.
Yes. equivalent in practice as the tense is sort of irrelevant for things that are obviously just now.
Hi I am wondering ... - is the present tense and needs the present tense in the second half of the sentence I was wondering ... - is the past and needs the past in the second half, so " I was wondering where you were from "