Ameen
Are these sentences translated correctly? Hi.. i traslated some sentences in google, but i'm not sure if they're correct (in the meaning and the grammar). 1- ich hätte dieses buch gelesen haben 1- I should have read this book 2- ich hätte dieses buch gelesen 2- I would have read this book 3- ich hätte dieses buch gelesen sollten 3- i should have read this book. thanks
No. 2 is correct. As for 1 and 3 there are two possibilities: Ich hätte das Buch lesen sollen. Ich hätte das Buch gelesen haben sollen. There is a very subtle difference in meaning. Ich hätte das Buch lesen sollen. - I was supposed to read the book. I should have read the book but couldn't be bothered or didn't have time. Ich hätte das Buch gelesen haben sollen. - I should have read the book, it would have done me good, if I had read it - before something else happened. You put the book and not reading it into relation with another event. It's a bit tricky, really hard to explain. Maybe someone else can help with that.
Ameen, ich mache es umgekehrt: englisch -- > deutsch 1. I should have read this book. --> Ich hätte dieses Buch lesen sollen. 2. I would have read this book. --> Ich hätte dieses Buch gelesen.
I always recommend my students not to use Google translate because it leads to confusion instead of helping you. Once you are more advanced you can use Google to check if it gives you word suggestions you hadn't thought of,but as a beginner it's better to form your own sentences because google makes you look bad. Apart from that I think bing translate does a better job.
Ameen hat aus der deutschen Sprache ins Englische übersetzen lassen und für die beiden deutschen Sätze das gleiche englische Ergebnis bekommen. ;)
#1 and #3 are identical, how did you manage to get different German translations for them?