Ppman
A native speaker or my grammar book-who is right. I read an article written by a native speaker. I love that my guests feel welcome in my home. But my book says: It is wrong to have "like or hate or enjoy+clause" I don't like that he smokes here. What is right? Thanks
Love and hate can definitely be followed by a "that" clause. I love that you remembered my birthday. I love that you made your own card. I love that you bought me flowers. I hate that you spent so much on them When clauses are different. incorrect: I love when you buy me flowers correct: I love it when you buy me flowers incorrect: I love which..... I love the part at the end where they ride off into the sunset. I love it when they ride off into the sunset. incorrect: I love when they ride off into the sunset. I thought about my answer a bit more: incorrect: I enjoy that rarely used: I like that - sometimes used in art appreciation. I like that you've used only two tones of each colour. sometimes used: I hate that correct: I enjoy it when incorrect: I enjoy when incorrect: I enjoy where correct: I enjoyed it where....(the part of the movie = it)
https://www.ef.co.nz/english-resources/english-grammar/using-hate-love/ USING "HATE", "LIKE", & "LOVE" The verbs hate, love, like, & prefer are usually followed by a gerund when the meaning is general, and by the infinitive when they refer to a particular time or situation. You must always use the infinitive with the expressions would love to, would hate to, etc. These verbs can also be followed by a that-clause or by a noun. EXAMPLES I hate to tell you, but Uncle Jim is coming this weekend. I hate looking after elderly relatives! I hate mushrooms. I hate that he lied to you. I love dancing. I love to dance at the jazz club. I would love to dance with you. I love ballet. I love that you remembered my birthday! I have no idea whether this grammar site is right. But that's what it says. Seems to disagree with your grammar book. . I so hate it when that happens. :)
These verbs need an object and it is grammatically possible for a clause starting with "that" to be an object. However, with many verbs, and in many situations, it is not very natural or considered stylish. Sometimes, books simplify or simply state that a structure is wrong rather than unnatural, and there can be some debate on this. I sometimes see, "I hate that.../ I love that ..." + situation in which a person does something always or usually e.g. I love that you take care of animals. You can always say instead "I love THE FACT that...." and no one would ever have a problem with this. I don't often see "like" or "enjoy" used in this way and it sounds strange to me. It would be better to say, "I don't like THE FACT that he smokes here." or e.g. "I don't like him smoking here." You can see a couple of uses of "don't like that" in real sentences here: https://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?q=don%27t+like+that&l=0 The fact that there are only two examples on the first page suggests that it is not a common construction. The same database showed no relevant results for "enjoy that" and "don't enjoy that". We use the dummy object "it" in this situation, "I love it when.... e.g. you buy me ice-cream. "it" is the frequent situation described after "when". Here, the "love" is for the situations.