Mohamed
If - Third conditional Hello, I am tying to use more complex grammar in my essays .. please let me know if my example is correct: The original sentence: If governmental entities had relied on automatic translation by computers, they wouldn't have requested an official sealed translation from an authorized agent. I want the new one: Had the governmental entities relied on automatic translation by computers, they wouldn't have requested an official sealed translation from an authorized agent. So, I removed if and want to make it conditional, does this make sense?
The two versions are equivalent in meaning.
Yes, it makes sense. The difference is one of style rather than meaning. These days, the construction of 'had' for some native speakers is often viewed as stilted, depending on your social set. Regarding the literal meaning, however, these expressions are identical. Furthermore, as a teacher who receives a lot of essays, I would prefer the use of your second example. I hope that helps you, Mohamed.