Pineapple
I tried to work along the borders, the peripheries Does "I tried to work along the borders, the peripheries" mean that he wanted to show the military operations of the US overseas? That is, "borders and peripheries" implies the geographical borders of the US. Text: ‘In the 80s, with the Mercenaries [a subsequent series] I tried to work along the borders, the peripheries – how official power becomes ferocious indirect power,’ Golub recalled. ‘These paintings state that you cannot see America without seeing the Contras, and everything else that has gone on.’ Golub was commenting on US support for opponents of the legal government in Nicaragua.
2
0
The borders and peripheries could mean the physical borders of the US, but the author is talking about the situation in Nicaragua with the Contras. The author could also infer the borders (boundaries) of official US government involvement, i.e. there were some actions that were undercover, or not quite legal, or of questionable/doubtful legality, and he wanted to paint paintings that showed what was really happening with power. He tried to work along the peripheries of official US authority, close to the shadows of legal/illegal use of power.
I suspect that it means he wanted to deal with topics that were adjecent to the obvious ones. Perhaps ones that were consequences of the main topic.
Pineapple
English, German, Persian (Farsi)
English, German