Maggie
question I was what midlist fiction used to be in the forties: critically ignored, genre-oriented (in my case the genre was Lovely Young Woman on Her Own Meets Fascinating Stranger), but well compensated and with the kind of shabby acceptance accorded to state-sanctioned whorehouses in Nevada, the feeling seeming to be that some outlet for the baser instincts should be provided and someone had to do That Sort of Thing. I did That Sort of Thing enthusiastically (and sometimes with Jo's enthusiastic connivance, if I came to a particularly problematic plot crossroads), and at some point around the time of George Bush's election, our accountant told us we were millionaires. Question: In this case, what’s the meaning of ‘shabby?’ ( 'inferior; not up to par in quality; of low quality'? )
So shabby means bad, ugly or bad looking
thank you I'm just wondering if, in this case, 'inferior; not up to par in quality' also makes sense.
Generally also, not well looked after. Not the brightest and most shiny. More often used for clothes or someone's appearance. Also used for places, that do not look the best. Maybe similar to "run-down".