Maggie
Question I was what midlist fiction used to be in the forties: critically ignored, genre-oriented (in my case the genre was Lovely Young Woman on Her Own Meets Fascinating Stranger), but well compensated and with the kind of shabby acceptance accorded to state-sanctioned whorehouses in Nevada, the feeling seeming to be that some outlet for the baser instincts should be provided and someone had to do That Sort of Thing. I did That Sort of Thing enthusiastically (and sometimes with Jo's enthusiastic connivance, if I came to a particularly problematic plot crossroads), and at some point around the time of George Bush's election, our accountant told us we were millionaires. Question: In this case, what’s the meaning of ‘shabby?’ ( 'inferior; not up to par in quality; of low quality'?)
"Shabby" typically means all of those things you mentioned (inferior, low quality, etc.) but in this case it sort of means "reluctant," or "just barely/legally tolerated." The woman in the passage is saying that her book was given the same type of acceptance that a legal whore house in Nevada would be given.
To be "rolling" in it means to be rich, as in you're rolling around in cash. The "it" is cash money.
"3‘it's pretty hard to come to terms with Angela's shabby treatment of Rick’ SYNONYMS contemptible, despicable, dishonourable, disreputable, discreditable, mean, mean-spirited, base, low, dirty, shameful, sorry, ignoble, unfair, unworthy, ungenerous, unkind, ungentlemanly, cheap, shoddy, unpleasant, nasty informal rotten, low-down, hateful British informal beastly vulgar slang shitty" The above is from the Oxford dictionary. The meanings which fit the context in question would be "contemptible" or the informal "rotten".