Troglodyte
Why it is called "Smoked" Salmon? I haven't had this dish but just heard the name and the adjective, "smoked" is kinda odd to me. We can't cook something over smoke. So, why is it called smoked salmon? And can I use smoked with other things like "smoked vegetables" if I have to prepare it the way smoked salmon is prepared? Thanks for your help!
"Smoking" is a preservation process and it does involve cooking over a very smoky flame, usually in an enclosed "smoker." This isn't something most people do at home. The smoke adds a flavor to it. When you buy smoked salmon, it has already been smoked. That is to say, it has been cooked, and it is ready to eat. There are quite a few foods which have been prepared and preserved by smoking when you buy them; in the United States, besides smoked salmon, we like Gouda cheese, Lapsang Souchong tea, smoked beef jerky. You don't need to serve smoked vegetables or anything else smoked with smoked salmon. You buy it ready to eat. In the United States a very common way to eat it is in the form of "Bagels and lox," an ethnic dish, originally popular with Yiddish-speaking New Yorkers. "Lox" is an Anglicized spelling of "lachs," which is German for "salmon." A bagel is a kind of a dense, chewy bread roll, shaped like a doughnut. It's popular at breakfast, and is usually eaten together with cream cheese. The bagel, lox, and cream cheese are all eaten cold.
Smoking is a cooking technique. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_(cooking) If you have no electricity for an electric smoker in Troglotopia, you can use a charcoal grill And yes) You sure can have your vegetables smoked or smoke them yourself) https://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/How-to-Smoke-Vegetables-8.jpg
Smoking meat over low heat for a long period is one way to cook fish and other meats (beef, pork, but usually not chicken). It helps preserve the meat to some extent, and can give it a nice smokey flavour. I suppose you could smoke vegetables, but I don't think it would taste very good. Your mileage may vary, though. *Edit: You definitely can smoke chicken, but it will end up being very dry.
Thanks for the Info!
Short answer: it is cooked slowly in warm smoke to pick up the flavour of the smoke. You choose the wood to get the good flavour.
Troglodyte
Akan Twi, English, Esperanto, German, Other, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Spanish
Akan Twi, English, Esperanto, German, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Spanish