Yeni (钟雪利)
What is the difference between "confuse" and "baffle"?
7
0
When you are confused, the answer could be A, B, C even D. But when you are baffled, the answer is neither A, B, C or even D. They are very close in meaning, though. Here are some examples: 1. "I'm confused. I thought we were meeting at 8:00 p.m. and not 9:00 p.m." (there was mention of a meeting at some specified time but it's unclear) 2. "I'm baffled. Where did you get the idea that we were going to meet at 8:00 p.m.?" (there was no mention of any such meeting) Hope that helps.
"Baffling" is a lot stronger; it means confusing to the maximum degree.
To add, it’s really about scale. To be “confused" about something is relatively minor, and it’s generally something you can work out with a little effort. To be “baffled" is a profound sense of confusion. It’s also often said when someone you know does something very out of the ordinary - you say that it’s baffling to indicate how unusual the situation is.
baffled = very confused
Yeni (钟雪利)
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Indonesian, Korean