Giordano Galli
Community Tutor
Are comprehensive grammars of English a thing of the past Hello everybody In the introduction to the 2nd edition of his work "Practical English Usage" Michael Swan suggests that students consult works such as Greenbaum's "A Student's Grammar of the English Language", Alexander's "Longman English Grammar" and Eastwood's "Oxford Guide to English Grammar". I wonder whether the 4th edition still mentions the same works. I've been unable to find more recent ones, but, since I'm well known for being quite inept when it comes to find something on the Internet, I thought I'd ask here. So, here I am: do you happen to know of any recent work, which comprehensively covers this topic? In case this is relevant, my study reference is British English. Thank you very much in advance! :-)
2
1
A quick add on, for those of you, who are interested in knowing the answer to my question. I found the following comprehensive grammar: "The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language" ISBN 978-0521431460 Authors: Rodney Huddleston, Geoffrey K. Pullum Publisher: Cambridge University Press Year of publication: 2002. The conceptual framework seems to be rather innovative.
.... when it comes to finding .... :) otherwise beautiful. Sorry, no idea about grammar books. Can't imagine that they have ceased to exist.
Giordano Galli
English, Italian