Wendy Monika
How do we use whopping to make sentences in daily conversations? How do we use whopping to make sentences in daily conversations? I know what it means that means extremely large, but I do not know how to use this word properly and correctly, can someone give me some example sentences? Thank you.
Here are a few more examples. He told a "whopping" big lie! ( A real whopper) or The old man was good at telling "whopping" big stories. ( Especially involving the size of the fish he caught)
Not really for use in daily conversation, this is a word for exaggeration, to mean "huge", "grand" or "gigantic".
LOL Not commonly used, but let's see if I can come up with some examples. :) Slang, for sure. "We had a whopping good time!" "That was a whopping big burger!" "That loss was a whopping 78% of the profit!" "A whopping 10 billion dollar payout is possible in this week's lottery!" I hope that is helpful. :)
It might be best not to try to use it. It is informal. It is colloquial. (In fact I see that the American Heritage Dictionary actually calls it "slang.") It carries a number of meanings, some subtle. Don't worry, it's not a "bad word" or anything like that. It carries the ideas of "very big," "surprising," or "excessive." It is used in a humorous, droll, or joking way. For example, someone in a business presentation would never say "we had a whopping big profit last year," because profits are regarded as serious, not humorous. Similarly, you would _probably_ not say "the Mississippi is a whopping big river" or "Asia is a whopping big continent" because these are not usually humorous topics. On the other hand, if we had had a really unusual amount of snow--nothing dangerous, no power loss, heat stayed on--I might way "we got a whopping big snowstorm the other day." If you were astonished at the size of neighbor's Newfoundland dog, you might say to a friend, "Wow! That's a whopping big dog." And--US readers will say "of course"--the hamburger chain, Burger King, calls its signature hamburger "the Whopper" to convey the idea that it is huge, in an informal and joking way.