Lydia
'Soul', 'spirit', how are they different? Soul Spirit How are they different in nuance and usage? Thanks in advance.
9
0
These terms are used in different ways, depending on the context. Biblical Scripture has a way of defining them. Common usage can really vary, depending on the speaker and the subject. If I had to begin to describe the difference, the soul would the deeper part of a person that never leaves or changes, the closest to who they are. The spirit would be the more surface aspect of the atitude, personality, characteristics. Feel free to explain further if you think that would help us to give you a better answer. :)
Hi Lydia, 1. I'm going to quote Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes to have a clear view of the difference between Soul and Spirit. She says :"The Spirit is the animating life force; verve, creativity, glistening, surging forward, ever childlike spirit. The soul is a gigantic reciving and broadcasting system at the centre of the psyche and also greater than the psyche". 2. You can find some idioms with the word SOUL https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/soul and some with the word SPIRIT https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/spirit
I'm not really an expert on this but to my understanding, there are some slight differences. For instance, "spirit" can be meant to indicate mood for example: "The spirit of the crowd is weak" or "He seems to be in high spirits today" (High spirits meaning in a good mood or happy). However, in a different context, (to which you're probably more curious of) is the use of "soul" or "spirits" in terms of ghosts, or the after-life. In this case I believe that soul and spirits can be used interchangeably. For instance: "the soul of the dead haunts us" or "the spirit of the dead haunts us."
Thanks for the answer :)
If you're asking in the context of Christian and Jewish theology, then the answer is that they are the same. Both refer to the immaterial component of persons which in one way or another is responsible for the mental life of the person. In Scripture, the difference between to two is functional. Spirit is used to refer to the soul as it functions in relation to God, and the soul and it's everyday functions can be referred to as "the soul".
Lydia
English, Korean, Latin
English, Latin