Ensomih
Got to talking Phrase I once read the following sentence "I ran into Bill and we got to talking for a while". I do not understand the grammar of the phrase especially "we got to talking" Is it some kind of a slang or smth else?
It is a strange construction, isn't it? It sounds kind of folksy and old-fashioned. As a native speaker, I'd understand this, but would certainly put it in the category of "non-standard" English. Perhaps it's the sort of thing that country folk in some rural areas of the US might say? One thing is certain, though: you really don't need to worry about it. You'll probably never come across this construction ever again. But here's some advice that's more useful: Don't write 'smth'. It really isn't a word. For some reason, Russian learners of English seem to think that 'smth' is a standard abbreviation that you can use in any written context. Believe me, it isn't. In fact, it's weird and confusing. Just write the normal word : "something" - it only takes a few extra seconds.
Seems that it's another way of saying "we were talking for a while". see https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/155096/origin-of-the-phrase-i-got-to-talking-to
As far as i know this phrase in some terms is gramatical and in other terms is slang. It doesnt always mean should