Emily
When I check my message, the file is already lying there. When I check my messege, the file is already lying there. When I check my email box, the mail is already lying there. Do they sound natural? I want to describe that the message or file sent by messege or email that I'm looking for is there when I check it.
15 Th08 2018 16:42
2
0
I wouldn't use "lying" in this sentence. I believe the word "lying" is used in an expression when something physical (and not virtual) is involved. Using a similar example to yours, but with something physical, that you can see: "When I got to the office, the file was already lying on my desk." the file is something physical, and you can see it lying physically on the desk. With these sentences, I would simply take out "lying" and write both sentences as: "When I check my messages, the file is already there." "When I check my email (no need for the word "box"), the email is already there."
15 tháng 8 năm 2018
The phrase "When I check my messages..." tends to refer to telephone voicemail or text messaging, not email, **in my experience.** So, there would be no files associated with voicemail. I'm not a big text/SMS guy, so I'm not sure if the sentence works in that case. As Rox implied, most people don't use the word "box" concerning email as it implies "Inbox"(because that's where incoming messages go). So, I mostly hear people saying something like, "When I check my email (or Inbox), the email is already there" IF a specific email **is expected** to be there. Otherwise, people would generally say, "When I check my email (or Inbox), I have messages" or "...I have no messages." You could extend that to say, "When I checked my email, the message included a file attachment." or "When I checked my Inbox, I saw a message with a file attached." Hope this helps.
15 tháng 8 năm 2018
Emily
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish