Evan B
German verbs ending in -rn versus the normal -en. How do they differ? Such as, Ändern vs Besuchen.
3
0
I did not compare the entire conjugation tables, but as far as I can see, the only difference is the omitted -e- in the infinitive form and in the 1st and 3rd person plural: wir/sie ändern. I guess the reason for this is that these verbs already have an unstressed -e- right before the ending. So the -e- in the ending is dropped. The same also happens with verbs ending in -eln, like "lispeln" and "kuscheln"
I agree with Alexandre, it's due to the unstressed e in the verb stem. Dropping the e from the ending makes the word easier to pronounce. Even for a native speaker, trying to add the e into the ending for verbs like "ändern" or "lispeln" is not easy to pronounce. So even it the e was part of the ending originally, it was dropped over time for ease of pronunciation, which is now reflected in the spelling.
Evan B
English, German, Russian
German