Luiz
'Approve' What is the difference between the verbs ''approve'' and ''approve of''? Could you provide me with a few examples? Thanks in advance.
Non-native speaker here: the way I see it, to approve means I have the power to deny it. I approve your proposal = go ahead, permission granted. I approve of your proposal means I like it, I think you are doing the right thing but it is not up to me to permit or prevent the action (or, at least I do not feel like exercising that right if I have it - as a boss I can approve your action or approve of your action; in the first case it is my decision in the second it was yours).
Did you approve of his decision? = Did you think that he made the right decision? Did you approve his decision? = Did you grant permission for his decision to be implemented? Not the same at all! NB A small correct to your post, Luiz: "Could you provide me with a few examples?" ( not 'a few of')
What is the difference between the verbs ''approve'' and ''approve of''? Could you provide me with a few of examples? "Hey, boss, I created a business proposal for our new client I'd like you to approve." "Would you please approve my request for time off for when the baby comes?" "I need you to approve my business expenses, so I can submit them to HR." "If I go on this business trip, will you approve my travel expenses?" "Do they approve relocation costs when they hire you? "I approve of this merger, but I'm worried about the long-term effect on our profits." "I don't approve of children talking back to their parents in a disrespectful manner." "Would you approve of the government adding new taxes to gasoline to help clean up the environment?" "My mother doesn't approve of other women who won't stand up for their rights."
A boss can approve a suggested plan of action. A father can approve of his daughter's choice of fiance.
There is no real difference, it's just the context of the sentence. It all relates to one's approval of another thing. Do you approve of his decision? Did you approve his decision?