Harun
How may I ask a lady to call her Ms or Mrs in formally? I need an answer about that. Could you please tell me how may I ask a lady to call her Ms or Mrs in formally? That sound pretty weird to me but I can't call her with her name directly. How can I ask her that in a kind way? I'm asking that because I make phone calls or participate meetings. These are part of my job. Such details aren't indicated most of time. I will be waiting for your replies. Thank you now on.
16 авг. 2018 г., 8:02
6
0
The wording of your question is a little unclear, but I presume that you want to know how to ask whether a person prefers the title 'Ms' or 'Mrs'. If in doubt, it is better to use 'Ms', as this won't be wrong. You could start by addressing her as 'Ms Smith', for example. She is unlikely to object to this, as it is fine to address any woman in this way. She may 'correct' you by saying 'Mrs Smith', or even Dr Smith or Professor Smith, if that's the title she prefers to go by. She may also respond by saying, for example, "Call me Elizabeth". In Western countries, it's becoming more and more common to address people by their first names, even in business and relatively formal contexts. As the only woman - so far - on this page, I would NOT recommend a direct question along the lines of "Is that Ms or Mrs ( or even the horribly outdated 'Miss!) ?" or even the less direct "What should I call you/How should I address you..Ms or Mrs?". It feels old-fashioned, intrusive and sexist. Why should my marital status be relevant? Why should you ask this of a woman or not a man? What's this got to do with you, anyway? What makes you think that these are the only two alternatives ( I could be a Dr, a Professor, a Reverend, a Councillor, a Senator) ? Please take my advice : don't draw attention to your awkwardness about this question, as this will only create more awkwardness and may make the woman feel uncomfortable or even irritate her. Just call her Ms [+surname] (with a z sound). In conversation, especially with your non-native accent, 'miz' will sound almost identical to 'misiz', anyway. She may not even notice. It really is not something that you should make an issue over.
16 августа 2018 г.
How shall I address you, as Ms or Mrs? How would you like to be addressed, as Ms or Mrs?
16 августа 2018 г.
There is no clear answer to this question, as it will depend on the circumstances. If you are speaking to her, you can't just call her 'Mrs' - you have to add her surname i.e. 'Mrs Green', 'Miss Smith'. If you speak to her regularly, it is a good idea to ask her how she would like you to address her. She may say "Call me Susan", or "You can call me Anne", in which case you are expected to reciprocate by offering your first name. This is what normally happens, and in western culture it would seem slightly odd to continue to address someone by their surname after having spoken a few times. I hope this answers your question.
16 августа 2018 г.
For your information, it is generally seen as a polite and courteous to acknowledge all the people who have taken the time to answer your questions - not just the one which you consider the 'best'. Only thanking one person and ignoring the others is extremely rude and ungracious.
16 августа 2018 г.
Maybe I can give an example to make it clear. The thing is that I participate fairs, meetings and make phone calls for the people I see first time. Sometimes they indicate their full name with titles like "Mrs. Janet Aqua or Ms. Elizabeth Turquoise" in the beginning while we introduce ourselves. That's okay. Afterward, I can speak with them by using their titles easily but on the other hand they sometimes approach me and we experience usual introducing ceramony. They say their full names without titles. So, I skip to use their names because if I use thier name directly they sounds weird and rude. That is a formal situation between of us. I see them for the first time. So, How can I overcome this?
16 августа 2018 г.
Harun
English, Spanish, Turkish