Lawrence
Community Tutor
sort or type What's the difference between sort or type when those two words used to express the identification of things.
maybe.. "This is the type of item you wouldn't want your children to be around as it is dangerous" - For this sentence you can use "type" and "sort" (however "type" is kind of more formal) "This vase is sort of, unsymmetrical and the colours have worn off" - you shouldn't use "type" for this sentence as it doesn't make much sense
They are very similar, almost interchangeable. "Sort' I use for things that can be sorted, selected. E.g. These sorts of items. This sort of example, things that can be seen as a class, or as a set. "Type" is used for similar classifications, sets, etc according to my dictionary. I use 'type" for types of people, (their characteristics) such as an angry type of person, a neat type of person. You can also say, this type of thing (class or set/arrangements), Type 2 diabetes, Type 1 diabetes, Sorry I don't know the exact answer. Examples help, idiom helps.
i thank they mean te same