Elena
What is the difference between the two collocations: "pass an exam" and "take an exam"? Hello, friends. Could you explain to me the difference between the two collocations: "pass an exam" and "take an exam". The point is my textbook tells me "Don't confuse these collocations." But I can't understand the difference between them. Thanks in advance.
4
0
Yes, Joe is right. Another way to look at is, everyone in the math class must TAKE the exam, but you only PASS the exam if you get above 60%.
To take an exam means to do an exam, regardless of the result To pass an exam means to do an exam and get a good result (a good enough result to pass the exam)
To "take" an exam is to sit down with the exam paper, answer the questions, turn it in, and receive "a grade" or "a score." To "pass" an exam is to receive a "passing grade." That means your work was good enough. It was acceptable. You have officially accomplished something. You have "passed" a milestone. The opposite of "passing" an exam is "failing" an exam. To "fail" an exam is to receive a "failing grade." That means your work was not good enough. If it was the final exam in a course, you will not get credit for the course. If it was an examination to get a driver's license, you will not get the license. You will need to take the exam again. In the US, one (of many) systems of grades uses the letters A, B, C, D, and F. In US slang, to "ace" a test is to receive an A, the highest letter grade. To "flunk" a test is to fail it, perhaps by receiving an F.
I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it.
Elena