Roman
Could you help me with this sentence, please? "There are prominent differences between neonatal and adult brain, and the understanding of how are neural networks forming in the childhood could give us the insights into how are this networks processing information in the adulthood." 1) Should I use "the brain", just "brain" or maybe "brains", when I'm comparing neonates and adults? 2) Should I use a continuous form in the second part of the sentence? Is it possible to say "how do they form...", "how do they process ..." instead?
2
0
It seems the most serious error in your writing is the word order in the noun clause representing a question. You should note that inverting the order (for the "be" verb) or adding the auxiliary "do" or "did" (for all other verbs) only happens when the phrase is in fact a question, and not when it represents a notion embedded in another sentence as in your writing. Examples: - How are you? => He asks me how I am / He asked me how I was. (not "how was I") - What are you doing? => He asks me what I am doing / He asked me what I was doing. - What do you want? => He asks me what I want / He asked me what I wanted. The only time the word order stays the same is when the question word is the subject of the sentence. - What happened? => He asked me what happened (no change in order). - Who did it? => He asked me who did it? Here are some subtle cases which might confuse you. - Who are you? => He asked me who I was. ("who" is not the subject but a complement, so the order changes) - What was that? => He asked me what it/that was. (same for "what")
I would say "The neonatal and adult brain" as you're referring to a specific concept. Instead of "and the understanding of how are neural networks forming in the childhood" I would say "and understanding how these neural networks form in childhood". And for the last part of the sentence, instead of "the insights into how are this networks processing information in the adulthood.", I would say "an insight into how these networks process information in adulthood".
Roman
English, German, Norwegian, Russian
English, Norwegian