Mayuna
Community Tutor
What does Soppy mean? My British friend often calls a small gift (such as sweets or chocolates) ’soppy’. E.g.) "I got soppies from a guest". Since I've thought 'soppy' was an adjective, was ‘lacking of strength’ or ‘sentimental’, I couldn’t understand this meaning. When do you use ‘soppy’ as a noun? Can I use 'soppy' for besides a small gift?
10
1
No. You are correct. He is using it as an adjective. A soppy gift, in his opinion is sweets or chocolate. . Never a noun, that I can think of. . He's just making excuses for not buying you gifts. Acting Macho. . Soppy excuses, I'd say. She went all soppy on me.
It's not weird at all, it's a grammatically correct way of using a word in a different context. I've never heard the word but it makes perfect sense. 'soppies' = 'soppy gifts'. A good comparison - in New Zealand they call 'sun glasses' 'sunnies'. Same idea.
If that is indeed what he says then it's super weird. Not only using it as a noun but using it in plural.
Thank you for answering!
Just to add a thought. It seems like it is his own personal idiom peculiar to him and not a generally used expression. I would only use it around him as he would probably be the only person who would understand.
Mayuna